Thursday, May 5, 2011

What is honor, anyway?

On my journey to rediscover the virtue of honor, the first question I asked myself was "what is honor, anyway?" I realized that I didn't even know what it meant, so how did I expect to show it to those around me.

First, let me tell you what honor is NOT. Honor is not respect. Respect is something that is earned. Respect is earned through successes, achievements, performance, or maybe even a response to failure. It is based on merit.

Honor is freely given. Honor is value and worth. And it is given- whether people deserve it or not.

Respect is earned, but honor is freely given.

Our generation has done a great job at ruining the concept of honor. We have confused it with respect. We think honor is something we can withhold from someone basked on their performance. We think that we only honor the people that we like- the people that are worthy of our honor.

But that is not Biblical honor. We are missing the point.

We don't honor people based on who they are or what they have done. We honor people based on who God is and what He has done. See the shift in perspective. Our lens is no longer our own perception of who is worthy of our honor. Our lens becomes the knowledge of what God has done for us... and that is the driving force of honor- whether they deserve it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment