Thursday, June 16, 2011

Scars and Tassels

Every scar has a story. The one on my hand is from flipping a 4 wheeler when I was 12 even though my dad told me I wasn't allowed to drive it. The one on my elbow is from attempting to save a ball from going out of bounds when we were playing our arch-rival Model High School when I was a freshman. The one on my shin is from the sack race at Field Day when I was in 4th grade. Then I have lots more that I'm sure each have a really great story behind them, I just don't remember them.

Every scar has a story, but there is one scar in particular that IS my story. Some days I'm insecure about it. Some days I forget it is even there. But whenever I become aware of that nasty 4 inch piece of skin on my knee, it reminds me.

Sometimes it reminds me of the funny story that my sister likes to tell about right after I got out of surgery (apparently, I wanted to say "thank you" to EVERYONE...even the custodians). Sometimes it reminds me of my friends that made the 6 hour drive to Kentucky to come visit me. Other times it forces me to remember the greuling days in physical therapy with Tricky Ricky, my trainer.

But, every time I catch a glance of that scar, I can't help but think about my story. I can't help but think about God's faithfulness in my life. That scar serves as a constant reminder that I'm no longer who I once was. My identity was basketball. My hope and future was basketball. But, all of that changed. Now my identity is found in Christ. My hope and future is found in my faith.

In the Old Testament, the Israelites wore blue tassels as reminders of God's commands and His faithfulness.

"The tassels will remind you of the commands of the LORD, and that you are to obey his commands instead of following your own desires and going your own ways, as you are prone to do. The tassels will help you remember that you must obey all my commands and be holy to your God. I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt that I might be your God. I am the LORD your God!'" (Numbers 14:39-41)

I think it is important to remember God's commands and His faithfulness. It forces us to recognize what He has done so that we can become more aware of WHO He is. My scar is my blue tassel.

What has the Lord given you to help remember what He has done in order to become aware of who He is?  

No comments:

Post a Comment