Monday, August 22, 2011

I am moving to DC....WHAT?!?!

You know those times when someone asks you why you are doing something and your only answer is "God". It feels like such a cop-out. Like there has to be so much more to it. The person on the other end insists on you giving details and the process behind your decision.

Why am I moving to Washington DC? God. That's really it. And it's not a cop-out. It is me recognizing that His fingerprints have been all over the unexpected.

Ok, ok. You want more than just that, I know. And I'm willing to give more as long as you recognize that at the end of it all... God. He is the reason. He has guided, revealed, confirmed, and sustained. And HE is the reason.

I am moving to DC on September 1 (I'm home with my family in KY for a few days) to join the team at National Community Church. I will be taking part in their Protege Program while working primarily with their Discipleship Team. I will also get to spend some time working alongside their Student Ministry Team.

NCC is a multi-site church with seven locations in the DC Metro area. They have two permanent locations, Ebenezers Coffeehouse and Barracks Row, and then they meet in rented space in movie theaters in the area. I have had the opportunity to visit NCC on two different occasions and I have already fallen in love with the culture and values of the church. They have an intense desire to see people involved in community and I am looking forward to serving the vision of NCC!

The Protege Program is an intensive leadership development program that serves as a training and proving ground for emerging church leaders. It will force me to stretch myself, both in my faith and leadership, and lay a firm foundation to pursue the life-long pursuit of the passion and vision that God has place on my life. As an NCC Protege, I will gain valuable experience in three primary areas: spiritual formation, leadership development, and practical ministry experience. This will be season for me to learn. A lot.

I just read back over this blog post and it sounds really serious. I think I failed to mention that the people that I am going to get to work with and do life with are some of the most fun, adventurous, and life-giving people I have ever been around. So that's a win too!!

I am so thankful for the opportunities I have had in Knoxville to influence people for the gospel. I got to serve with incredibly talented people and more importantly, I got to serve with my best friends. Definitely going to miss Knoxville, but DC...here I come!! 10 DAYS!


3 comments:

  1. Go get 'em, Em. Lace and I are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a cop-out :) keep us posted. love you fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em, I'm so proud of you for following your heart. Best of luck in your new role! Keep me posted on you adventures . . .

    ReplyDelete